I Heart Audiobooks

Sunday, June 1, 2008


This is something I've been meaning to blog for a while, so I thought I'd just do it, instead of procrastinating it any further.

One thing that has been such a joy to me is listening to audiobooks while I sew. For one thing, I LOVE to multi-task. And sitting and sewing in the garage for hours can get a bit lonely at times. But listening to audiobooks allows my mind to stretched, entertained, and engaged, while my fingers guide the fabric and my foot presses the sewing machine pedal.

Lately, I purchased a good pair of wireless headphones. They recharge automatically when I'm not using them, which is awesome, so I don't have to keep recharging AAA batteries. Headphones are crucial when sewing, because it's hard to hear over the racket made by the sewing machine. Wireless is great, since I'm constantly moving from the sewing machine to the iron to the cutting table. Sure, these are all inches from each other in my tiny little sewing area--but still, it's nice to not be impeded or obstructed by wires.

I used to pay a lot of money for audiobooks. I had a membership on Audible.com, and I also bought a lot of used audiobook CDs from eBay. BUT NOW...(drum roll)....you can download audiobooks from the library website for FREE!!! Can I tell you how happy this makes me? Yes, it makes me super happy. It's cheap, and it's just about inexhaustible because more and more books are being recorded all the time.

My last listen was The Sex Lives of Cannibals, which I recommend highly. It's funny, it's true, and it's educational. I had never heard of Kiribati before, and the author's description of life on this tiny island is hilarious, and also sad at the same time. What a crazy world we live in.

I am giving my listens a star rating system, in case anyone wants to know what all the asterisks are after the titles. I like being able to keep track of the ones I've listened to here on my blog. Even my blog likes to multi-task!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP