70 Corsages for Mother's Day

Wednesday, May 16, 2007




When I was growing up, at my church, the youth always made corsages for all the mothers at church. But we made them out of Kleenex tissue. You know, you fold a tissue in half, make an accordion, tie the middle with a wire, and fluff up the layers. Strange, but true. Sometimes, we'd even take lipstick and rouge the edges, so they looked more like a carnation.

Now that I'm a mother myself, although I appreciate the efforts that went into those tissue paper carnation corsages, real flowers hold a little more appeal to me. Call me funny that way.

So, last year, I took it upon myself to make real flower corsages for all the mothers at my church. I had a $100 budget, and of course, all the women loved them. What makes you feel more special than having a lovely corsage to wear?

This year, we made it a youth group project, so 5 youth (including my own two girls) helped me make 70 corsages. The youth were fairly helpful--but even a group of 5 adults would be hard pressed to make a decent corsage. It takes an eye for design, plus manual dexterity to hold the flowers in place while you wind them with florist tape. Even making a nice bow is a challenge for most people, not to mention kids.

Still, I was happy to celebrate Mothers Day with this yearly ritual. Being surrounded by lots of flowers is enjoyable, whatever the reason.

1 comments:

Dennis May 3, 2011 at 9:27 PM  

hi there! Was looking for crafting a corsage for my Mother in law, to save money and to make it more personable. Nice that you made these, but no hints! Why not share your wisdom! Brenda Jo

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP