While These Moments Are Still Called "Today"

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Wow! Where does the time go? I can't believe it's already August. I've already taken my girls shopping for back-to-school clothes. The countdown has begun.

I am usually an ultra-productive person. I like to fill every minute of my day with tasks--work, sewing, housework, cooking, shopping, gardening, exercise....I never have enough minutes in the day to do all the things I'd like to do. Even when I watch TV, I have to multi-task. I save some of my handsewing to do while watching, or I have a knitting project at the ready.

Today, I spent the morning taking photos of my bags so I could post them on my website--something that I haven't done for MONTHS! It's not one of my favorite things to do. Here's one of my new bags:


Then, because I had asked the girls to clean out their bookshelves, they brought me STACKS of books that they had outgrown. We took photos of those and listed them on eBay. So, I ended up spending the better part of the day at the computer.

After that, I just wanted to VEG and do nothing. So I did! I watched some mindless TV withOUT working on ANY projects! My husband and I went for a walk after dinner (it was a gorgeous day), and we talked about what we want to do when we retire someday (we're only in our 40s, so we still have, like, 30 years to go--we like to plan ahead).

Ahhhh, it really felt so good to NOT accomplish much this afternoon and evening. I got some necessary things done this morning, so I didn't have to feel like a total slug. But I realize that I need to allow myself downtime more often. Life is too precious, and time passes WAY too quickly.

Here's a recent photo of my daughters. They are both taller than me now, although since I'm only 5' tall, it wasn't that difficult for them to bypass me. Still, my babies are almost all grown up--BUT there's still time to be savored and relished with them. They still like being read to at night, hanging out at home during the day, eating dinner all together, making popcorn and watching our favorite shows on TV. Life is good, and it was nice to stop and smell the roses, "while these moments are still called today" (Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls, "History of Us").

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP